Sunday, June 3, 2012

Reflections....

I hope you guys don't mind a post without pictures?   As I woke up at 3:30am today and sat in the quiet calm of the house, I took a bit of time to reflect over this past week and over the past few years as well.    I think many of you know my story, but for those who don't I thought I'd share part of it again.  

Before we go too far back, this past week has just been an amazing experience and really highlighted what Stampin' Up! means for me.   I had a nice week as far as creativity goes; it has been a while since I could say that!    It started last Sunday with a pick at the Paper Players, continued on to a top pick at Dynamic Duos, a card featured on the Splitcoast Stampers Facebook page, another pick yesterday at the Paper Players, and then the Featured Stamper spot in the Splitcoast challenge this week.    That's not too shabby and made me feel better about my work.   I don't always have a lot of self-confidence so those type of things help keep me going and trying harder.    More importantly though, some of my wonderful friends that I've made through my demonstratorship surprised me with the most amazing blog hop that still makes me tear up even now.  I admit that making friends doesn't come easy for me, but I love these ladies and all that they have brought to my life.  Finally, two of my very dear customers/friends tracked me down and took me to lunch this week just because.   To have local friends is a real blessing for me and without SU, I'm not sure that would be happening in my life!

When I signed up as a demo almost 2 years ago, I didn't have hopes of it being very much.   I was just lost and needed something.   It had been almost a year and a half since we'd lost our five month old son, Eli, to spinal muscular atrophy and  I was just drifting along.   I was existing, but not really living.   Starting a little business gave me something to focus on, something to take my mind off the grief and hurt that still hung over me like a dark cloud.   I slowly started meeting customers along with some other demos online.  I enjoyed creating with the great products I was selling and I think that started to show through in my work and interactions with customers.   Slowly that creativity and those relationships helped me begin to heal.   I now have a small club and a few other customers that I cherish and enjoy spending time with.   I have fellow demonstrators all around the world who are treasured friends and sisters.  I have a supportive, loving husband who never says a word about how many stamps I have and is always up for offering advice on each and every card I work on.   Finally, I have my little girl who will be here in 4 weeks to bring sunshine back into our lives and our home.    I feel like a very lucky woman right now to say the least.  

I'm really not sure I'd be here today without all that Stampin' Up! has brought into my life.   Those dark days were bad, but stamping was the light that kept them from taking over.   To each person who has brought a little ray of sunshine to my life over the past 2 years, I say thank you.

26 comments:

  1. Wonderful words Rita! Congratulations on such a wonderful stamping week. Getting close now 4 weeks to go! Will be thinking of you. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)
    big hugs Rita.
    I'm so glad you've had a great week!
    I'm truly blessed to have met you and I am very thankful for your friendship :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rita, I haven't met you in real life, but I guess you're a very special and kind person! Hope you have wonderful last weeks before you're little girl will be born. I'm a big fan of your artwork, you're so talented! smiles!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cardmaking world is an amazing place, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO happy to read this update - it's been a long time coming :)

    Four weeks?!?!? I've got to get your package off!!!

    Cheers and big hugs from Mountainbillyland -

    'Lucy'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the wonderful week Rita, my heart goes out to you... life can be so challenging at times. Glad you are making friends and contacts through SU who bring joy into your life. I look forward to hearing your celebratory news in just a few short weeks, and will keep you in my prayers. LOL... 330am wake up? I do that all the time!!
    Hugs,
    Sharon Field

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rita, Congratulations on a well deserved honor for being chosen as the SCS Featured Stamper this week. I was very inspired to read your blog post and am happy for you that your SU community has filled a gap in your life. Thank you for sharing something so personal. Kittie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post brought tears to my eyes! I feel so blessed to have met you and am so thankful for your friendship. You have really encouraged and inspired me in so many ways! I look forward to sharing in your joy once Laila arrives! Hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. xoxoxox my friend! What a week - maybe you should go buy a lottery ticket! Off to check out your Featured Stamper post on SCS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your creative week! All the best wishes for you and your husband in the weeks to come.May you find joy in the birth of your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful post to read this morning Rita...made me happy. Congratulations on your FD shout out! How awesome is that!! Sending you a huge hug my friend.
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending hugs: beautiful blog post. Your baby is due around the same time my newest grandson is due to arrive. Sending many blessings your way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rita, congratulations on all of the accolades for your stamping. You certainly deserve it, as your work is just beautiful. Glad to know there are creative "neighbors" just down the road, and if you need another stamping buddy, just give me a shout out. I'm not far from you.

    Blessings and best wishes for the upcoming birth of Laila!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an absolutely fabulous week, Rita! It couldn't happen to a nicer person :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post Rita and congrats on a wonderful week! So glad to have met you through this awesome hobby. You are awesome, my friend! Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful that something as simple as stamping can bring such joy! And I'm so glad that you had such a great week, especially as you begin the home stretch! Hopefully some day we can meet in real life.

    Sending you a big cyber hug!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw, Rita, you got me all teary-eyed, too! I am honored to be one of those among your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  18. HUGS!!!! What a beautiful post!

    Stamping really is therapy....any kind a person could need.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've got a tear in my eye reading your post! I wish you all the best in your remaining weeks of pregnancy. Hope it all goes smoothly and look forward to continuing to see your artwork. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow .... a great week indeed! Congrats on all your creative triumphs!
    You are more special than you realise Rita, you have touched so many hearts and will continue to do so because that is who you are ... God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rita, I'm new to your blog, but I have enjoyed your work on Freshly Made Sketches. This post was so moving. You inspired me on FMS this week to make a baby girl card without pink using the sketch (it was a bit too distressed to enter).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rita- don't ever doubt your talent girl! Every card I see of yours I am wowed by! I'm so glad you found SU during a dark time in your life and we are lucky to have you sharing your creativity with us. I've been following your blog for a while now and I can't wait to hear about the arrival of your sweet baby girl! Blessing! Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rita, thanks for sharing your story. Yes, SU and stamping are VERY therapeutic - it's good for whatever ails ya! I will be praying for you as you finish up your pregnancy and welcome your little sweetheart into your home!!

    Hugs to you and Laila!

    Susan, aka Soozie4Him on SCS
    moot96 AT aol DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Rita...just wanted to say I have always been a fan of your creations. Your story was very touching. Best wishes to you and the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lump in my throat, tear in my eye. This stamping stuff is pretty cool huh. I have made some of the most amazing friends since joining SU myself and most don't know it but they helped me out of a dark hole too.

    I can't wait until little Laila is born and we get to see piccies and watch her grow.

    Sending you hugs and good wishes for a safe birth. Enjoy these few weeks just pottering about and rest up lots!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  26. You made me cry jerk;-) I'm so happy for SU and the people it's brought into my life like YOU! Love ya and can't wait to "meet" Laila:-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks so much for stopping by to say hello. :)