Monday, May 21, 2012

Watercolor Attempt #1

One of my customers has expressed interest in the Aquapainters, Blender Pens, and Watercolor Crayons.  Those are not my strong points, so I've decided I need to practice a bit over the new few weeks before club night!   I really want to demo the different coloring techniques and the only way to get better at it is DOING it, right?    So...here's my first attempt.  I used the gorgeous butterflies from Kindness Matters.   I used the crayons and aquapainter for the large one int the middle and the ink pads with a blender pen for the smaller ones.  They are okay, but I definitely need to work on my skills!  :)  If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them!

Stamps:  Kindness Matters, French Foliage
Ink:  Regal Rose, Crumb Cake, Staz On
Paper:  Early Espresso, Regal Rose, Watercolor Paper, Brights DSP stack, First Edition DSP
Tools/Accessories:  Big Shot, Fancy Favor die, Aquapainter, Watercolor Crayons, Blender Pen, Homemade Shimmer Mist (using Shimmer Paint)

8 comments:

  1. I think it came out great, Rita! Pretty in pink! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Rita! I love watercoloring and do it on a lot of my progects....I used to use the blender pens a lot but lately I seem to be reaching the aquapainter. The biggest thing I have found with that is making sure you dont have too much water in the brush portion, otherwise your ink/crayons gets very messy on the paper and you have to get paper towels/TP to dab it all up and start again. I also use Naturals White cardstock more often than the watercolor paper, as it works just as nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita, I think this is lovely for your first attempt! I LOVE watercoloring, I wish I could do it more! You're using the right kind of paper, so that is a good start! I personally don't like the crayons as much as just using plain ole reinker ink...a little dot in your ink pad lid and you can use it as strong or as light as you want. I just think the colors come out much clearer than with crayons. Also, if you are using more than one color in your design, dry the first color with your heat tool before going to the next so that your colors don't bleed. Less water=deeper color, more water=lighter color. You can always go back and add more intense color, but it is hard to take color away. Practice, practice, practice! And remember that it is supposed to look floaty and watery, so if you go out of the lines a little, that's okay! Okay, can you tell I like watercoloring??! Email me if you need more info! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like some great coloring to me! Sometimes when I watercolor it looks great and sometimes not so much. I think it's all about practicing so you're on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great Rita Luv Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it turned out fabulous! I'm not a great water color-er either! I think I'm doing ok and then I see someone's great work and I'm all like, "crap, I stink!" LOL! Practice makes perfect I guess though:-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks so much for stopping by to say hello. :)