Saturday, November 19, 2011

PPA120: Faux Linen Sketch

Sketch
So lately I've been feeling pretty down and not really enjoying stamping as much as I usually do.  My cards are all feeling a bit plain and boring for me too.  Sad face, right?    Today I found myself a bit ahead of things, so I decided to sit down and do a challenge for fun.   I wanted to add a new technique into the mix as well.   I find that expanding my skills and trying new things a breath of fresh air, so I thought that might be just what I needed.   I decided to play along with the Pals Paper Arts sketch and to try the Faux Linen technique.   I haven't used my new Distressing Essentials kit very much yet, so it was a perfect time to put it to use!  

I used the Tea Stain ink on my image panel and I don't think it was quite dark enough to allow the linen texture to show up in my picture.  I know next time to go darker for that part, but I do like how the card turned out.  I seem to be drawn towards browns right now; maybe because of all the dead trees we have from the drought?   Or maybe cheery colors just aren't fitting my mood?   Either way, I do like mixing them up.  I never thought I'd be using Soft Suede as much as I have been!  It is a bit of an ugly color.  :)  All the panels are sponged to give them some depth and I pulled out my favorite retired ribbon, Early Espresso satin.  

Stamps:  Best Friends Forever, Nature Walk, En Francais
Ink:  Soft Suede, Early Espresso, Tea Stain distress ink
Paper:  Glossy White, Soft Suede, Early Espresso, Neutrals Patterns DSP stack
Tools/Accessories:  Distressing Essentials kit, sponges, Early Espresso Satin ribbon

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree that Soft Suede is a strange color but ends up looking fabulous when you use it! (I think the same about River Rock!) This is beautiful - great vintage look! And I love how you use the flourish from BFF as a branch for the birdcage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, this is a wonderful distressed card. The birdcage image adds to the vintage look. I hope you learn to like Soft Suede as much as I do. I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love vintage and distressed as well as the sets you've used here, so I think it's fabulous! I agree that Soft Suede is a weird color--sort of browny-green; but it looks wonderful here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful! I love how you hung the bird cage from that flourish! Thanks for playing with us at Pals Paper Arts! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks so much for stopping by to say hello. :)